So, I love me some fresh herbs. And if you cook with them as often as I do (which isn’t even that much) you realize how expensive they can be to purchase from the grocery store.
Last year I bought an Aerogarden. Fresh herbs all year long with minimum work on my part? It was a definite win. But then my plants outgrew their tiny little garden, and I hated being limited to just 7 varieties. Granted, I mostly use basil, and my cat, Pippin, ate my chives before they even had a chance to grow, but I knew I needed to expand.
Thanks to pinterest, I got the idea to make a backyard container garden. And to make it even easier, I would make it a hanging portable one. This way, I can easily take the plants inside for the winter, or bring them with me when (starting to feel like if) I move out.
I found an ancient screen door in my garage, and knew right away what I wanted. I had the vision in my head, and last weekend (to take a break from book editing) I went to work executing my plan! Here was what I did to make it, so you can be inspired to make one yourself.
Saturday evening, I went to Home Depot to get the herbs for my garden. I wanted to grow them from plants rather than seeds, to avoid any disasters from my lack of green thumb. I also went to the moulding section and had a guy cut some simple wood moulding into 25″ sections, which was the width of my door frame. I got some screws and some little hooks too.
I propped the doorframe up on some bricks after my mother yelled at me for drilling directly on the porch, and I drilled two pilot holes on each side of the crossbar.
Then I switched out the drill bits and screwed the moulding to the doorframe.
Here are my buckets! I knew from the beginning I wanted an eclectic collection of metal buckets and watering cans, and luckily, Michaels had exactly what I wanted. I added a few buckets that I got at Target, and began modifying them to become planters. Holes were drilled into the bottom of them all for drainage, and more were drilled into thicker handles or ones without handles, so that I could hook them onto the door.
I fitted the drill with a smaller bit, and drilled more pilot holes along the horizontal wood beams.
I placed the plants into the buckets and moved them around to see which ones would best suit each container, then I planted them and hung them on the little metal hooks that I screwed into the pilot holes.
Here is the finished garden! I leaned it against the back of my house, and it’s light enough that I can pick it up and move it if it’s getting too much or too little sun. I made plant markers out of clothespins.
The whole project took me about two hours, and cost around $120, though you could make it for a lot cheaper if you use less expensive buckets. For example, the one on the bottom left, with the cilantro in it, cost me $1 dollar at Target. The one next to it, with the out of control mint, was probably around $5. So it’s up to you how much you want to pay for your containers.
Eventually I’ll stain the whole thing so it isn’t two-toned, but for now, I’ve got other things to do.
Like enjoy the weather with my kindle and my hammock. And relax, because I just published another book!