Like, really really freaking excited for the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary special. It’s insane to think that the show has been on for that long, but at the same time, not really. It’s the bestest show ever, so no wonder it’s been going strong. Plus, having the ability to change principal actors helps a lot, I’m sure.
Anyway, my blog friend Tracy over at SugarCrafter and I have been geeking out for months in preparation for this event. I offered to make a handful of fondant cupcake toppers if she wanted to handle the cupcakes. Then we got together for one massive, epic nerdy photoshoot. I think they both came out AMAZING!!
We are splitting up the blog posts. I am going to sort of walk you through my process of making fondant toppers, and if you want to know how to make the most incredible blue velvet cupcakes with Jammy Dodger filling (which you do), head over to Tracy’s post. I have another post of just the photos I took of the final product here:
Here is my basic walk through for toppers.
Doodle up some designs. Figure out the main colors you will need a lot of fondant for (I used Tardis blue, red, white, grey, and a little of black).
Make your fondant. Let it sit for at least 12 hours. (At some point I’m going to do a detailed fondant how-to, but for now, I’d recommend checking out more experienced baker’s sites). Get out your gel food colors and your tools:
I started with the Matt Smith shirt circles. I tinted the white fondant a light pinky grey, rolled it out, and cut it into 2 1/4 inch circles. I gave them about 12 hours to dry a bit, and then I added some pinstripes with my Wilton roller thingy.
I tinted a small ball of fondant maroony red (like 5 parts red to 1 part black), and rolled it out, a little thicker than the discs. Using the same size circle cutter, I cut out some circles and then trimmed two sides to make bow tie shapes. Then I made some thin strips for the center of the bow tie. Using water to adhere everything, I folded up the center of the bow tie shape, added the strip, and then molded and stretched to make it look like fabric.
For the logo I tinted a rather large section Tardis blue (mostly blue with a dot or two of black) and made the same size circles. Then, taking a sheet of white fondant, I cut out hexagonal shapes using a template (I just traced over the pencil drawing that I posted above). I let them dry for a day, and then went in with my thin knife and edged out the details. I adhered it to the discs with water.
For the screwdrivers (and much of the other toppers after this) my technique was kind of different. I was no longer working from a template, and instead, would tint balls of fondant as I went, saving the extra in a tupperware, and sort of mixing the balls together as you would mix paint colors. It was more like working with Fimo clay.
I also had several bottles of edible glitter that I used to make the metallic parts of the screwdrivers shiny.
Then I made the Tardis. Using the Tardis blue from the blue disks on a plain grey background, I made a rectangle. Then I rolled out really thin strings and stuck them to the places where the ridges on the Tardis were, and rolled a rolling pin on top to flatten them. I stuffed white fondant in the top three squares for the windows and the sign. This one came out a little thick, but it’s still cute. I made a David Tennant blue suit and red tie disk using the same method.
And then, because I’m crazy, I made a Van Gogh exploding Tardis. Working with tiny balls of yellow, orange, red, and white fondant, I mixed them and rolled out thin strings and curled them around like paint on a canvas. This one took maybe 40 minutes.
And then I was really in the zone, so I made an Ood (took at least 45 mins), followed by a weeping angel (over an hour). I’ve been watching a lot of Face Off on Syfy, so I was really itching to make some creatures. Remember these are only a little over 2 inches wide, so consider how tiny the details are.
Hazy picture (lens had some sugary fingerprints on it) of my favorite discs. I had multiples of the bow ties and the logo, since those were template based. The rest of them were free handed, and so I only made one of each.